Friday, March 21, 2008

Getting critiques


My science fiction opening chapter is up for review at Critique Circle and I'm realising how hard it is to avoid an info dump and yet to convey information. No one has realised that my Main Character is female and everyone makes the assumption that she is male. Clearly that says a lot about the default setting in our society but sadly it also tells me that my writing skills are not as honed as I'd hoped for. How do I keep the first person voice, but tell the world that I'm a she? In real life I don't often find the need to do that.

Back to the drawing board. I do like getting critiques, though. It matters a lot to me to know how my writing comes across to an audience.

2 COMMENTS:

Ian said...

As a fellow spec-fic writer, I'd be happy to take a look at your first chapter and offer my thoughts on it. I hate having my stuff sitting for four to six weeks in queues only to have people who don't know me at all give a cursory review, so I certainly won't do the same for you.

Email me if you want.

Ian

fairyhedgehog said...

That's very kind of you, Ian.

The critiques I've had so far have all been pretty helpful but I'll drop you a line anyway.

Thank you.

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...