Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Christmas has come early!

You may remember that I asked for help in choosing a laptop, and I'm very grateful for all the suggestions I received.

I finally went for a business laptop with a matte screen, which is excellent for reading and writing (thanks, Richard). It's a very nice little machine.

I had an initial moment of panic: going down from an 18" to a 13" screen is quite a change! But it's small and light and the keyboard is adequate (although I'd expected a better keyboard from the reviews). I've got most of my regular programs set up and now I have no excuse for not writing!

It barely weighs more than a hardback book!

Just one niggle and that's about the Kindle. I have Kindle for pc but because the book I'm reading is on my Beloved's laptop, I would need to buy it again to read it on here. Naughty amazon! I've a couple of ePub books and they are no problem to transfer at all.

(Edited to add: thanks to Sylvia for setting me straight on this. I now have my Kindle books available on this laptop too.)

Anyway, thanks for your help and support!


(In case anyone is interested, it's an .Aspire Timeline 8371 - 944G32N / Core 2 Duo SU9400 1.4GHz / 4GB / 320GB / 13.3 inch / Vista Business / Laptop / Notebook (LX.TTK0Z.001).)

18 COMMENTS:

Sylvia said...

I thought you could declare a specific number of devices (5?) to associate with your Kindle account?

fairyhedgehog said...

Sylvia, I didn't know that. I'll have to look into it.

fairyhedgehog said...

Sylvia, you're a star! The trouble was I'd got the amazon password wrong, and it was seeing me as having a different account to the one I was using on the other pc. Once I knew I should be able to download the books to this laptop too, I managed to sort it out! Thank you!

Stacy said...

I was gonna say, I have the Kindle app on both my computer and my Blackberry, and it was free. Not only that, I can transfer books between them easily with Whispersync.

fairyhedgehog said...

stacy, I don't think it's really very difficult for a person of normal intelligence!

How I got two amazon accounts with the same email address but different passwords beats me!

Adam Heine said...

Hey, that's a lot like my new baby. I got the Aspire 4810TG back in January. Haven't had any complaints yet!

fairyhedgehog said...

Adam, that's good to know! Yours looks like a nice laptop!

Old Kitty said...

AHA!! I knew Kindle had a downside! LOL!!

But seriously!! Yay for your brand spanking new and ever so sexy laptop!!!! Yay!!! May it produce many many many best-sellers!!! :-)

Take care
x

fairyhedgehog said...

Yes, Kitty, it was entirely amazon's fault and nothing at all to do with my inability to remember passwords! Ahem.

Thanks for the good wishes, but I don't hold out bestseller hopes!

Ann said...

Very impressive! I think I will have a gander at one of those myself. On the prowl for a new laptop. Good luck and happy writing with your new instrument.

fairyhedgehog said...

Thanks, Ann! I hope you find what you want.

Nick said...

Good to know - I was looking at the Aspires

jjdebenedictis said...

Ooh, pretty! *pets the lovely laptop*

raine said...

Oh, she's a beauty, Fairy!
Think I'm jealous, lol. :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

oo..congrats on your cool new laptop. So jealous.

fairyhedgehog said...

Nick, it is a nice little machine. One of the best features for me is the matte screen - no more nasty reflections! It's useless for watching DVDs (even once my external DVD drive arrives) but great for reading and writing, which is what I bought it for.

jj, I'm not sure I'd call it pretty! But it is high powered and can do everything I need it to, so it's pretty on the inside I suppose!

Raine, it's been a long wait to get my own machine but I have to say it's worth it.

Lynda, thank you! I'm really pleased with it now I'm getting used to the small screen.

Ana Goncalves said...

Congrats on the new edition to the family!
How are you finding it so far?

fairyhedgehog said...

Thanks, Ana! The keyboard is a bit plasticky, the screen is small and the touchpad can be oversensitive. But it's light, fast and great for reading Kindle and ePub books on. So, on the whole I'm pleased with it.

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...