Thursday, May 01, 2008

Slang, text and LOLcats

cute cat picture with caption: MY FEETS they are go wrong wai
Picture taken from LOLcat Pics. I have a guilty love of LOLcats. The cute cat pictures, the funny language.

I enjoy neologisms and playing with words, I love learning languages and seeing how our language develops. New slang, like "cool" and "lame" and "wicked" (OK, it's old slang now but I can't think of anything more recent) fascinates me. For some reason the same doesn't apply to textspeak.

I'm not sure that there is any logic to finding "I can haz cheezburger" funny and hating "C U L8r" but there it is.

6 COMMENTS:

Sylvia said...

That's a good point - they are the same thing really. But I just blanked out a blog that I'd clicked through to because the author wrote "u" instead of you and as far as I'm concerned, I can't be bothered looking beyond me.

But LOLcats are funny. Maybe because there aren't people writing in it who appear to want to be taken seriously.

fairyhedgehog said...

I wonder how much the incredibly cute pictures help.

StalkerB said...

Hey, stop stealing my bandwidth and then linking to another lolcat site, grr :@

You're lucky kittens put me in a good mood :)

You can find more cute pictures at
LOLcat Pics

fairyhedgehog said...

Sorry, StalkerB, I don't get your point? Can you explain?

StalkerB said...

Wait, I got it wrong.

I thought you were hotlinking from my site for the image, but you're not.

Apologies.

fairyhedgehog said...

Hi StalkerB,

That's cool! No, I'm not hotlinking, everything is hosted on blogger. I linked the picture itself to LOLcat Pics and the text to LOLcats, hoping to keep everyone happy. I'll add a text link to LOLcat Pics for you as well.

Anyway, nice to see you in here. I do love those cat pictures.

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...