Thursday, November 05, 2020

Influences

Unlike this gorilla, my aliens are shades of gold and orange

I'm writing a story for NaNoWriMo about 
a linguist who is enjoying her retirement when the aliens arrive and invite humans to join the Unity, a post-scarcity intergalactic federation. She is one of nearly two hundred people chosen to visit the Unity and see the wonders on offer; wonders that turn out to come at a price. The Unity are relying on the two hundred to make the decision whether to join and Renee needs to choose which matters more, free will or survival. 
Someone on Quora suggested that my plot reminds him of Olivia Butler. To my shame, I don't think I've read any of her books. There are a lot of other influences on my story, so I thought I'd share some of the main ones. I can recommend all of them, with the possible exception of the CS Lewis book. 

Yes, I know Avatar was mostly about the 3D effects. I'm shallow: I just loved the sheer beauty of the scenery. 

The Gate of Ivory 

I think it's the first time I've been so unashamed in stealing from my source material, Polenth's Bigfoot book in particular.

Still Mercedes Lackey began her writing career by writing fan fiction, so I'm just going with whatever works.

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...