Monday, August 25, 2014

Warning: Doctor Who Spoilers

Here's what I thought of the latest episode (aired on 23rd August 2014).

I really prefer sci fi to horror, and this was definitely horror. It wasn't a children's story, either.
  • A sad, lonely, female dinosaur is horribly killed in flames
  • Someone is mugged and his eyes removed
  • A balloon carrying the Doctor is made of human skin
  • The Doctor mugs a tramp (although he thinks better of it and gives up his watch)
  • The Doctor may or may not have pushed a robot to his death
It was too slow and repetitive. How many times do we need to be told
  • That Madame Vastra and Jenny are married?
  • That this Doctor is really the same as the old Doctor?
  • That this Doctor is very, very old (although younger than the first Doctor)?
  • That this Doctor is not Clara's boyfriend?
Plus the "Did he fall or was he pushed?" was laboured. I got it the first time.

But there were some humorous moments, and bits of it were fun. Capaldi is brilliant and given half a chance will make a wonderful Doctor. I hope he's given that chance.

7 COMMENTS:

Old Kitty said...

Oh I loved this new episode! I thought Peter Capaldi was wonderful! I even liked Jenna (whose Clara I detested last series!!) LOL! Especially when she thought she was abandoned! Broke my heart - that was excellent!

And Amy was mentioned! Yay! I miss her and her hubby!

Bad bits - Matt Smith and that phone call. How utterly unnecessary!

And stop shouting. Stop. Shouting. Please! :-)

And yes, the new Doctor is OLD. Get over it.

The killing of the dinosaur. :-(

And I'm not convinced by the trio of Vastra et al. They brandish swords but they cannot fight convincingly. All their fight scenes in all the series(es)gone were and continue to be AWFUL.!

But I so look forward to the next episode! Esp that mystery woman in the end - what did she want with robot man?

Take care
x

fairyhedgehog said...

I'm glad you loved it, Kitty!

I do like Capaldi, a lot. He doesn't seem old to me but I understand how he does to most people! I just wish there was a bit more subtlety and not hitting us over the head with things by telling us again and again.

I'll still be watching for the time being. I hope they bring in some new monsters that are as exciting as the weeping angels were when they first appeared!

MorningAJ said...

I enjoyed it. I have to admit I really don't take it seriously and I don't care if it didn't make sense (and everything else that everyone's said about it). It's a great bit of hokum, and Peter Capaldi was brilliant (I thought). It's good to see an old Doctor with a bit of character, rather than the increasingly young and trendy types we've had in recent years. I'm convinced. I'll keep watching this series.

fairyhedgehog said...

I agree about Capaldi and I'll still be watching.

I actually rather liked Matt Smith and and I loved David Tennant! If we get any episodes as good as the first Weeping Angels I'll be happy.

Whirlochre said...

Capaldi lokks like he's going to be brilliant and I'm glad they've taken the YA out of Clara.

Just hope the reported new Master lives up to John Simm.

fairyhedgehog said...

I wasn't really into the Master storyline, although John Simm was a good choice. I agree with you (in your own blog comments)that the first Weeping Angels was among the best episodes ever but I doubt if we'll return to those heady days. It's all a bit steampunk for me at the moment - I prefer my sci fi a bit more spacey.

But Capaldi is going to be worth watching, if Moffat can stop repeating himself.

Simon Kewin said...

I'd say stick with it. They obviously felt the need to do a lot of Character (capital C) stuff. Hopefully they'll get back to being chased through corridors by aliens and that soon.

I thought the guy with the clockwork head was pretty cool!

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...