Monday, September 06, 2010

Wish fulfilment (spoiler free)

A few days ago I read All Fun and Games Until Someone Loses an Eye by Christopher Brookmyre and absolutely loved it. It's about a young grandmother who is leading a boring restricted life, and how she responds to the challenge when her family is under threat. She shows qualities she didn't know she had and finds adventure and excitement. It's gory in places but so much fun.

So then I decided to read Pandaemonium by the same author. It was a very gory read - I see now that it's advertised as a horror flick and in places it reminded me of Hot Fuzz. I skipped a whole chunk of the second half as I couldn't stand the gorefest. There were parts I did enjoy, like the scene when one of the girls does a tarot card cold reading on another girl, but it wasn't the reading experience I was after.

I wonder how much the difference was that I really related to the main character in the first book. Do you like wish fulfilment in your reading?

4 COMMENTS:

platypuspower said...

You read Christopher Brookmyre too? I think his works are quite funny at times. I read The Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks, and Be My Enemy.

fairyhedgehog said...

Hi platypuspower! I loved Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks and now I've just started Be My Enemy. I love his sense of humour, I just don't cope well with gore.

Old Kitty said...

I would love to read All fun and games now that I know the premise!!! You don't get many pro-active grandmothers in horror/thriller genres so this is SO on my list!! Thank you!!

Take care
x

fairyhedgehog said...

Kitty, I hope you enjoy it when you get to read it!

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...