Friday, September 03, 2010

Ireland episode 2

So, the bad stuff on holiday was the state of the place when we arrived, and my son's fiancée getting her handbag stolen with resultant window damage to our car. Her car keys were in her bag so her Mum flew across to Dublin to get her spare keys to her. Altogether we lost about three days of the first week on this kind of hassle - and my poor younger son and his fiancee were only there for that week.


There was good stuff too though. We managed to spend an afternoon on the beach, and we enjoyed shopping in Wexford. There was a wonderful bookshop complete with indoor fountain and mural (above) and we spent ages looking at crystals and trinkets in another shop. I didn't actually buy anything but it was fun!


The second week we had a splendid view over a harbour from our windows and a friendly heron that visited. (I know that's a seagull! But there was a heron too.)


The houses are so bright you almost need sunglasses and they have colour combinations I would never have thought of - sometimes with good reason.


They have real telephone boxes! And they're green! And so are the post boxes.

The food was wonderful too, and according to My Beloved the Guinness was good. But the best bit I'll tell you about tomorrow.

14 COMMENTS:

Simon Kewin said...

Ah, it sounds great. Apart from the bad bits obviously.

We did something similar a few years back and loved it. It can rain though!

Old Kitty said...

Oh your poor son and fiancee! Oh dear. I hope they still had a great rest of the week there!

Thank you for these stunning pics!!! (And sorry but I went: that's not a heron! LOL!)

Oh but the colours, my goodness!! Yellow and greens and reds!! How cheerful and bold! Yay!

Take care
x

fairyhedgehog said...

Simon, there were some good bits! The people were amazingly friendly too.

Kitty, I didn't even manage to get pictures of some of the bolder colours! And there were rows of houses that were colour-co-ordinated, with a blue house and yellow drainpipes next to a yellow house with blue drainpipes. And more!

Ann said...

I am so glad things got better. Looking forward to tomorrow. I feel so bad about the first part. Did you contact Bord Failte?

fairyhedgehog said...

Ann, I don't know if Imagine Ireland is registered with Bord Failte but that's who we booked with so I've sent them a detailed complaint today, together with photos.

I'll see what they say. Thanks for caring.

Disgruntled Bear said...

Lovely mural! Lovely views! I'm glad that there were good bits to the trip--those photos from the house were terrible!

fairyhedgehog said...

DB, the mural was even better in real life and stretched right down the side of the stairs.

It was an interesting holiday all right. (Chinese use of "interesting" here.)

Lexi said...

That harbour is lovely. I like the yellow house, too. I love other people's holiday photos - a holiday by proxy. Does anyone do slide shows of their holiday snaps any more? I remember enjoying them as a child.

fairyhedgehog said...

Lexi, I loved the coloured houses!

I think I mostly put photos onto the pc now and email them to people. They have to make up their own slide show!

Anonymous said...

What amazing colours. It's like the land of Oz.

Thanks for stopping by at my party this weekend. Cheers!

catdownunder said...

My parents went to Ireland for a week many years ago. My father still says he remembers the people as being some of the friendliest in all the places he has been to.
Apart from the bad bits it sounds good and that mural is magnificent.
Purrs to you!

fairyhedgehog said...

Donna, thanks! It's a great blog party going on over at your place!

catdownunder, I was beginning to wonder if charm is taught as a subject in Irish schools! Thanks for the purrs!

Whirlochre said...

It's no fun when fate bowls a googly on your holiday. Worst I've had is a break down in the middle of nowhere in France and a broken caravan door, but neither of those torched more than a morning.

Wish I could have joined you in some of those pubs. Nope — make that all of them. Twice.

fairyhedgehog said...

Whirl, I wish you could have joined us in those pubs too!

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...