Friday, December 25, 2009

Avatar



My Beloved and I celebrated Christmas Eve by going to see Avatar 3D.

It had the same effect on me as seeing the first Star Wars film when it came out: it took my breath away. I've not seen anything like it before.



The special effects are perfectly integrated with the real actors. The plot is only so-so in places and with a few real holes. I could see the ending coming from a long way off but that didn't seem to matter. What makes this film extraordinary is the beauty of the alien world and with the 3D effects you feel like you're there with them.



It's exciting and tender and sad.

A major theme is the transformation of the main character. It's also a love story but not just the love between a man and an alien: the man falls in love with the whole world. And so did I.



These pictures don't do it justice. You really must see it!

11 COMMENTS:

laughingwolf said...

merry xmas to you and yours :)

fairyhedgehog said...

Thanks, laughingwolf, and Merry Christmas to you too!

Adam Heine said...

I don't remember any major holes (which is weird; there are always some), but I remember it being hugely predictable, like you said. That said, I really enjoyed it. Super fun and really, really pretty.

Lisa said...

Excellent - I loved this show beyond words. A must see and I've nothing negative to say about it.
it was well done, made me cry many times - really brought the emotion and pain out.

fairyhedgehog said...

Adam, it's amazing that the predictability didn't detract from it in any way.

Lisa, the bits that got to me were the scary bits at the beginning. I kept on gasping out loud, and so did the guy sitting next to me!

Richard N said...

Babs & myself totally loved it too!

The 3D is so beautifully rendered it's quite easy to suspend your disbelief and enter that world - something I normally find easier with a book than a movie - so much so that I had trouble regaining my 'land-legs' for a few minutes when we came out afterwards...

fairyhedgehog said...

Richard, it really is in a league of its own!

Kevin Musgrove said...

We had to rejig Xmas quite a lot this year because of snow and, mainly, ice so I spent more time than I would have liked sitting with relatives watching films I didn't fancy. After watching back-to-back CGI movies I was struck by their stunning, dynamic visuals and utterly flat and predictable narrative. I'll probably wait until 'Avatar' is on the telly someplace rather than paying the cinema price.

(I'm the one whose friends ask: "Are you OK coming to this film? You do know it's in colour, don't you?")

fairyhedgehog said...

Kevin, given that the graphics are the best thing about it, I'm not sure you'd get nearly as much out of it from watching it on a small screen in 2D.

It doesn't sound like Christmas was much fun. Let's hope the New Year is better.

Robin B. said...

You're making me want to see it, FH! Of course with my track record at actually going to the movies, I won't see it until it's out on video, but there ya go. I'll definitely see it, now, one way or the other!

fairyhedgehog said...

Hi Robin, I hope you had a good Christmas!

I can't believe this film will be nearly as good on DVD. It really needs the large screen and the 3D effects to be so awesome.

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...