Thursday, March 26, 2009

My superpowers

Bevie has suggested writing a weekly serial about superheroes - with us as the heroes. To that end, I've designed my own superhero picture using HeroMachine version 2.5.



Clearly, Fairy Hedgehog has the power to walk barefoot on snow without getting frostbite. She also has other strange magical powers that will be revealed as the story progresses. (Isn't that a great cop-out so that she can have whatever powers she needs for the plot to work?)

I really like her but she strikes me as being more of a witch than a superhero. Can witches be superheroes? I'm not entirely sure about that so I designed a more traditional superhero:



This was purely out of intellectual curiosity about superpowers and not in any way because I liked playing with the HeroMachine. Now I'm wondering which one will appeal to more people. I'd do a poll if I had any idea how to.

I do have my own real life superpowers, you know. I have the Mum powers of eyes-in-the-back-of-the-head and always-being-right but my favourite superpower is the power of reading. I was thinking the other day that although I would absolutely love the power to fly, if I had to trade in reading to be able to fly I'm not at all sure that I would. Reading takes me to much stranger and more interesting places than I could ever get by flying (especially when I read anything written by Whirl). I'll settle for flying in my dreams. (Is that a superpower?)

I recently read on rhcrayon that
My friend "e" once told me that her job hostessing gave her a new superpower: she can walk into any restaurant today and know how long the wait will be.
That's a superpower that would never have occurred to me.

I'd love to know if any of you are going to make your own superheroes and also to hear about any superpowers that you already have.

18 COMMENTS:

Whirlochre said...

I may take this up as an honorary meme, particularly as I'm getting back into comics in a big, big way.

I think you should stick with the witch alter ego, especially as it comes complete with accessory cat. As Lizard Girl, I can't imagine you'de keep the cat around for very long.

My superpower is that I can wreck anything electrical, especially audio equipment. I am the sworn enemy of Right Speaker Channel. It's uncanny.

fairyhedgehog said...

Oh yes, Whirl, do take it up! I'll love to see what you'll make of it.

The witch and her cat are pretty cool. There's a lot of wish fulfilment in that one whereas with Lizard Girl ... well she's really the antithesis of what I'd like to be. Hey, maybe she can be a nemesis.

Your superpower is awesome. Now all you need to do is to write a story where that superpower is needed to save the day. Which makes me think of Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman?

Bevie said...

Definitely keep the witch. I saw that and my first reaction was, "COOL!" (And not just because of the snow.)

My real-life superpower is the ability to make a joke about anything. (Everything's funny to someone.)

The superpower I desire is "Wish-Fulfillment". The ability to make anything I wish for be true. But that would probably make me a supervillain, wouldn't it?

fairyhedgehog said...

That's a great super-power you've got there Bevie. I look forward to seeing it in a story!

Lisa said...

with a kitty no less. I didn't immediately see just how one goes about creating the superhero on that site -there seems to be so many choices.

Sure, a witch can be a super hero! Why not!

Lisa said...

Oh never mind, I see, I was looking at the tabs at top on my mac with a small screen last night, looking quickly on a bigger screen it's chrystal clear.

Oh what fun . . . what shall my super hero do - I'll need a heap of cats around me.
Of course I can communicate with cats (possibly all animals .. . )

Lisa said...

My this super hero creation is quite an effort - still working on it.

I had to come and visit the hamster again.

Did you get him from the 'add gadgets'?

fairyhedgehog said...

Hi Lisa! I'm glad you like the hamster. I got him from here: http://abowman.com/google-modules/hamster/

You can change all the colours, then you can put the code into your blog by pasting it into a "HTML/Javascript" gadget. To make it fit the sidebar I had to change the code slightly: from width="280" height="210" to width="226" height="170".

Kevin Musgrove said...

The hamster's always addictive.

I remember years ago a few of us were discussing superpowers and while most of went for the usual stuff - flight, super-strength, x-ray vision, etc. - one of my friends opted for the ability to snap ladies' knicker elastic at twenty paces. We were all young and impressionable and mighty disappointed not to have come up with the idea ourselves.

fairyhedgehog said...

Kevin, you haven't said what your favourite superpower would be now. Or have you?

SillyBoy said...

I really like the witchy one. And of course witches can be superheroes! Case in point: The Scarlet Witch.

I've always found walking barefoot in snow without getting frostbite easy enough and actually kinda fun, but gosh, I had no idea it was a superpower.

My other superpower is the uncanny ability to know in advance which random object is going to somehow prove unexpectedly useful later in the day... the only problem is, I've not quite learnt to pay heed to these sudden flashes of morning intuition, and often as not I leave the random object at home because it can't possibly come in useful.

Chris Eldin said...

AHAHAH! The power of bare feet is a good one.
:-)

fairyhedgehog said...

SillyBoy, I'm glad you like the witch. It looks like she's the winner. I hadn't heard of the Scarlet Witch. Clearly, you have many valuable superpowers.

Chris, I nearly put some shoes on her. Maybe I should leave her as she is.

Robin B. said...

Both of these are, um, super!!

I designed one for myself after I saw BT's. I keep forgetting to put it on my blog, but now I'll try to pop it on this weekend.

fairyhedgehog said...

Robin, I'll look forward to seeing that.

Sarah Laurenson said...

Liking the witch, too. Though that Lizard Girl mohawk is stunning. And she carries a big sword. Size does matter, you know.

Awhile back, we discussed superhero powers, and mine was the ability to get a full night's sleep in a few seconds. I need more time in my day and a good night's sleep. Then I could do more amazing things - whatever they turn out to be.

Kevin Musgrove said...

I think flight would be my superpower. I'm too old to get the benefit of snapping ladies' knicker elastic at twenty paces.

fairyhedgehog said...

Sarah, that sounds like a great superpower if you want to get things done. I rather like my sleep though.

Kevin, I was wrong then. Flying is a pretty awesome superpower I have to admit.

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...