Thursday, May 22, 2008

In the beginning

My first really long story started when I was on a camping holiday in France with my husband and two sons and it rained. We had no television or radio so we made board games and wrote stories. I continued to write the story when we got back home but I got bogged down and never finished it.

My next story was an autobiographical one, after we left the fundamentalist church we used to belong to. The story had a number of self-righteous characters who were trying to force their views on everyone in the name of God. It was very satisfying to write.

I found NaNoWriMo much later and completed three novellas, none of them remotely publishable. I've learnt that I need to plan to write a book because trying to edit an unplanned 50k work is painful or even impossible. I've learned how to write dialogue and the importance of characters but I'm still a complete novice at producing a believable plot. I work best with a time limit and I'm finding my current work is languishing because I've got too much time to write it in.

This was meant to be about how I started writing but it seems to have ended up as the story so far. So over to you now. How did you get started?

I owe the idea for this post to Writes in the City .

2 COMMENTS:

McKoala said...

I wrote a lot when I was younger, but stopped. Then, when soccer boy was at pre-school and princess was sleeping most of the day I got bored. We'd just moved to Oz and I knew nobody. So I started writing again. That was about four years ago and now I can't stop.

And...I'm tagging you! Can't link, because I'm stupid, but please visit my blog to see.

fairyhedgehog said...

Thanks for the tag which I think I'll have to decline this time.

I love your post on your blog, though. You have an amazingly tidy workspace. Mine is ... differently tidy.

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...