Monday, July 05, 2010

Minions in MonkeySpace

An
Neil, Whirl, Jane, Robin, Polenth, John

I'm not going to say that we met up "in real life" because online relationships are real too. Charles Stross in Halting State uses the phrase MonkeySpace for the place where we can see each other and hear each other and when we hug it's tee shirt to cardigan and not simply a kind thought.

It was wonderful to hear Whirl's amazing voice. He really does sound that good all the time! Polenth entertained us with tales of a pet cockroach, Robin made sure we got the best table in the place even though it meant moving three times, and Jane kept us laughing. My Beloved (Neil) and Robin's husband (John) performed essential support and paparazzi roles.

The minions: Robin, Whirl, Jane
Polenth, Gina (me)

I had to leave early as usual (stupid CFS). I thought Jane was telling me she was legless when she said she couldn't stand up but she was simply wedged between the bench and the table. I can't guarantee no one was legless by the end of the day.

Those of you who couldn't make it: we missed you. Maybe another time?

Edited to add:
Whirl's hysterical account of the event is here.
Jane's more accurate recounting is here.
Evil Editor has posted another photo here.
And Robin has a photo here.

26 COMMENTS:

Whirlochre said...

I can confirm that after you left, there was a considerable loss of legs. Why, some of us were "amputee drunk".

fairyhedgehog said...

Whirl, I had a suspicion that might be the case!

Old Kitty said...

It looked like you all had a great time!! What a lovely day to meet up!!

Thanks for sharing these pics.

Take care
x

Phoenix Sullivan said...

*Peeks in then stomps off muttering in jealousy but truyl terribly happy for the minions that could meet up*

fairyhedgehog said...

Kitty and Phoenix, it would have been lovely to have you there!

JaneyV said...

I maintained my balance for the entire day - even if I totally lacked coherency by the end of it.

What a laugh!

I love your pictures especially as we all look so sober! (which of course we all were...ahem...mostly)

I'll pop something up on my blog as soon as I find the necessary cables to do so!

fairyhedgehog said...

Jane, maybe the sober pictures are because I left early!

writtenwyrdd said...

I am so glad you guys had fun! I want to attend one of these gatherings some day, too. A worthy excuse to make it across the pond again.

fairyhedgehog said...

ww, oh yes, yes! That would be wonderful!

Ann said...

By the looks and sounds of it a great time was had by all! It is fun meeting fellow bloggers isn't it!

Sylvia said...

What fun! I am truly sorry that I wasn't there (we had visitors here, so I couldn't get away). It sounds like it was so much fun (and I really do know what I'm missing), I think I shall stomp away with Phoenix!

Next year....

_*rachel*_ said...

There's no way I could have come, but I'm sad I missed it anyway.

fairyhedgehog said...

Ann, yes it was fun. It's a strange experience meeting people for the first time when you already know them so well. I've yet to be disappointed.

sylvia, I missed you and so did Neil. You must come next time!

DJ Kirkby said...

I'm going to try real hard to get to one of these meet ups!

McKoala said...

Ah, a nice sober account! The others positively promote leglessness.

fairyhedgehog said...

McK, my account was sober because if I'd drunk more than tea I'd have fallen asleep, and I had to leave before everyone achieved true leglessness!

fairyhedgehog said...

_*rachel*_, I'm sorry you couldn't come too!

Charmaine Clancy said...

Looks like fun was had by all :-)

fairyhedgehog said...

Charmaine, it was indeed!

fairyhedgehog said...

DJK, I really hope you make it to one, it would be great to meet you.

Sorry my replies are out of order. Blogger has been playing silly buggers with comments and they didn't all show up.

Robin B. said...

Hey, FH! I finally managed to get on my own laptop on this Brit vacation, so I can actually`type.

It was so great, getting together!

No one can really know how truly uncanny it is getting together with old friends who are in actual fact good friends. Simply because you haven't physically seen them before doesn't make it un-so, as we know.

fairyhedgehog said...

Robin, it truly was a great time. I hope you're enjoying the rest of your time over here.

Quirky Jessi said...

Aww, it's so awesome you got to meet up with them!

fairyhedgehog said...

Thanks, Jessi, it really was.

Jackie said...

Found you from Maria's blog block shout out, new follower as I too love books and chocolate and cats and what not! Fairy Hedgehog, how could you not follow a name like that!

jackie

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

fairyhedgehog said...

Hi jackie! Nice of you to visit and I'm glad you like it in here! It's all gone a bit slow this week as I've been recovering from the minion's meeting.

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...