Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The wrong words and bad spelling

The worst examples I've seen recently of using the wrong word were in this review on amazon. To clarify: the review was excellent but the book being reviewed clearly wasn't.

A couple of examples:
"The lamp's glow was very weak compared to the blue glow emancipating from the basement."
and
"Spiers's eyes popped extraneously from their sockets, as his face turned from a deep red to a sickly purple."

How does such writing get published? AuthorHouse. Self-publishing at its worst.

Oh, and I'm sure you've seen this before but it seemed appropriate:
'Spell Checker Blues'

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

The rest of it is here: Geoff Johnston's poetry page. Although it wasn't a spell checker the "author" needed but a dictionary. Or a fire lighter.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Maybe it's to reassure myself that although my writing is bad, it isn't that bad.

1 COMMENTS:

Sylvia said...

"The lamp's glow was very weak compared to the blue glow emancipating from the basement."

This is great - the light escaping from the bottom floor. I'm SURE the author didn't intend it though.

Serious motivation: we might not be sure if we are good enough but we know we are better than that.

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...