Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Writing fun

I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. One reason I'm not getting on with writing my current science fiction story is that I can't decide whether to write in the first person or in the third.

For sheer fun in writing, you can't beat first person. I can get into the story as the Main Character (MC) and just romp along. The problem is that the story isn't terribly easy for anyone else to follow. Too many of the details that the reader needs to know wouldn't be in the mind of the MC.

When I write in the third person, it's easier to follow but harder to write. So I suppose it comes down to the question of "Who am I writing for?" If I ever want anyone else to read what I write, and I do, I think maybe I need to take the harder path. Either that, or write the whole thing out as it comes and then go back and third-person it.

4 COMMENTS:

Unknown said...

My advice would be to go for third person. It gets easier as you progress, and publishers seem to like it better these days.

fairyhedgehog said...

Thanks, that's useful to know.

Not that I'm anywhere near writing anything publishable yet but it's a good idea to get in practice for when I am.

Sylvia said...

Just to be difficult, I'd advise the opposite. Well, not quite - but I would just write it as it comes. If 3rd person doesn't feel natural, then I'd be worried that it would stifle up the whole story.

Or write something else in 3rd to see if it gets more comfortable, then go back to this one?

fairyhedgehog said...

I know what you mean about stifling up the story. I usually write 3rd person but this one just seemed to come out as 1st.

I think I'm just not skilled enough yet at writing to pull it off, though. I put up the first part at Critique Circle and all the critters had trouble working out what was going on.

So far, I've written three chapters in 1st, then re-written them in 3rd. I'm carrying on in third for now: I have to choose or I won't write anything!

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...