Friday, April 04, 2008

Iain Banks













I'm just reading The Steep Approach to Garbadale and enjoying it very much. The blurb suggests that it's Banks best book since The Crow Road, which is high on my list of favourite books. It certainly has the most amazing first line of any book I've read:
It was the day my grandmother exploded.

It takes an unusually good book to follow that beginning successfully and it does.

Banks has written other books and I haven't enjoyed them all. The Player of Games is his only science fiction that I've been able to get on with. But it looks like The Steep Approach to Garbadale is going to be a keeper. I'll let you know when I finish it.

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...