Sunday, April 27, 2008

Desert Island Book

There is a British radio program called Desert Island Discs that has been running for decades. Imagine you are marooned on a desert island with only a record player and eight single records. (I did warn you it's an old program.) What are your records, and what parts of your life do they represent?

You are also allowed one book, but not the Bible or Shakespeare. And one luxury: nothing like a fishing line that would be any real use to you.

I've got my own personal list of tracks for when I'm famous but the book is more elusive. Just one book that might have to last you the rest of your life. Mind you, if I had to live off the land on a desert island the rest of my life might not be very long.

I've often thought I'd choose Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett as my one book because it covers so many fairy tales and because it's funny and I'd need a laugh if I was to survive. It's an old favourite, so maybe I'll stick with it but I'll miss some of my other old favourites (see Herding Cats below).

I'm not sure how I'd survive without a fresh supply of books. If I had pen and paper as my luxury I could write my own but that wouldn't give me what you'd call a steady supply.

2 COMMENTS:

Sylvia said...

Funnily enough, I ended up stuck for a fortnight once with only one book - it was Wyrd Sisters and I read it three times in succession (I really canNOT cope with not having something to read). I have to admit by the end I was nitpicking like mad but still, I kept reading.

Not many books I could say that about - I have no idea what I would have chosen if I knew that was going to happen. Probably something longer.

fairyhedgehog said...

How odd that it was another Terry Pratchett book. Wyrd Sisters is not my all time favourite and if I had only that to read for a whole fortnight I think I'd be tearing my hair out by the end. Or nitpicking the book as you did - perhaps that's a more constructive option.

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...